Thu13Dec201816:30IIR Library, Nerudova 3, Prague 1
Seminar: “Untangling the Mayhem: Crises and Prospects of the Middle East” (IIR, Czech Republic)
The Institute of International Relations in cooperation with the Jan Masaryk Centre for International Studies and the Center for Asian Studies at the Faculty of International Relations, the University of Economics, Prague would like to invite you to a seminar and launch: Untangling the Mayhem: Crises and Prospects of the Middle East.
What were the reasons for the diverse political trajectories in the MENA countries and Turkey after the 2010/11 uprisings? Can we speak about democratization in this case at all, both regarding the concept as such and in the context of applying it at a time when the region is to a large degree still in turmoil? The seminar will start with a presentation by the guest speaker Tereza Jermanová on Reflections on the Democratization Debate after the Arab Uprisings. It will be followed by a presentation and a book launch of the recent book titled Untangling the Mayhem: Crises and Prospects of the Middle East. Among the speakers will be the editor Radka Havlová and also two selected authors of chapters in the book: Aneta Hlavsová (Yemen, Iraq) and Kristýna Tamchynová (Turkey). The event will be chaired by Jan Daniel.
- Tereza Jermanová, Department of Middle Eastern Studies, Charles University/Association for International Affairs: Reflections on the Democratization Debate after the Arab Uprisings
- Radka Havlová, University of Economics: Untangling the Mayhem: Crises and Prospects of the Middle East: Arab Spring and the “Forgotten” Palestinian-Israeli Conflict
- Aneta Hlavsová, Kristýna Tamchynová, University of Economics: Iraq, Turkey, Yemen – the author’s view: The De-democratization Triad
- Chair: Jan Daniel, IIR Prague
17:15-18.00: Book launch and discussion
You can find more information about the event here.
Training course on European Lobbying (EUI, Italy)
Gain key insight into the EU lobbying labyrinth while exploring the various principles, process and tools for developing effective strategies to influence the European decision-making processes and its ecosystem.
- Interact more effectively with policy makers and other stakeholders.
- Become a better advocate both as a citizen and professional.
- Gain a more truthful voice in a low-trust society.
More information, registration and programme here.
Wed19Dec201810.30 - 12.00The National Museum of Finland, Helsinki
TEPSA/FIIA National Convention: "European Council Meeting De-Brief" (FIIA, Finland)
TEPSA, the Finnish Institute of International Affairs (FIIA) and the European Movement in Finland are organising a discussion on the latest state of play of the European Council agenda with a special focus on the Economic and Monetary Union reform, Migration policy and the Multiannual Financial Framework.
The Finnish State Secretary for EU Affairs will debrief the audience on the latest decisions adopted by the European Council. A Brussels based journalist (EU correspondent) and an EU expert (researcher) will also provide comments to kick off the discussion and the moderated Q&A session afterwards.
You can find the invitation (in Finnish) here.
Click here for the the events archive.