Austrian Society for European Politics (ÖGfE)
Secretary General: Paul Schmidt
Contact: email address
The Austrian Society for European Politics (Österreichische Gesellschaft für Europapolitik / ÖGfE) aims to promote and support information activities on European affairs in Austria. Based in Vienna, the Society is a non-governmental and non-partisan platform mainly constituted by the Austrian Social Partners.
Since its formation in 1991, ÖGfE keeps expanding its range of activities and has accompanied the central steps of the European integration process, inter alia Austria’s EU accession, the introduction of the Euro as a common currency, enlargement towards our central and eastern European neighbours, the Austrian Council Presidencies in 1998 and 2006, the ratification process of the Lisbon Treaty and the European elections.
Our guiding principle, thereby, is to communicate directly and maintain close contact with the citizens as central stakeholders of European integration.
Focal points and activities:
- Public opinion surveys – attitude of the Austrian citizens regarding EU issues
- Comparative analysis of current EU topics
- Information/publications (touring exhibitions, Policy Briefs, brochures, leaflets)
- Public panel discussions
- Public relations: Focus on new media
- EU seminars for opinion leaders (e.g. teachers, media)
- EU information for specific target groups (e.g. pupils)
- TEPSA Brief: “The voting behaviour of the Austrian Members of the European Parliament during the legislative period 2014-2019”, Johanna Edthofer & Paul Schmidt
- Panel discussion: “Nationalistic populism and its reception in Central Europe. The state of play” (OEGFE, Austria)
- TEPSA-OEGfE event on “The Future of Europe – Views from the Capitals”, Vienna, 26 September 2018
- “Voting at 16 in Austria: a possible model for the EU?”, Paul Schmidt, Johanna Edthofer (Elcano, Spain)
- “Austria’s EU-presidency: between ambition and reality”, Paul Schmidt, Christoph Breinschmid (ÖGFE)
- TEPSA Austrian Pre-Presidency Conference report now available
- TEPSA Explainer: “The new Austrian Government & EU integration and the upcoming EU-Council Presidency of Austria”, Paul Schmidt (ÖGFE, Austria)
- “Franco-German cooperation: A compromise between vision and reality?”, Paul Schmidt (ÖGfE, Austria)
- Introducing a new TEPSA associate member: The Austrian Society for European Politics (ÖGfE)
- TEPSA General Assembly meets in Sofia and welcomes a new TEPSA associate member