Director: Dr. Ondřej Ditrych
Contact: IIR Prague
The Institute of International Relations (IIR) is an independent public research institution which conducts scholarly research in the area of international relations since 1957. Its founder is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic. IIR tries to form a link between the academic world, the public and the international political practice. The main activities of the Institute of International Relations comprise the following:
- Basic and applied research of international relations, often in the framework of Czech, as well as international, projects;
- Publication activities in the form of periodicals (IIR periodicals include the monthly magazine for the general public Mezinárodní Politika, the theoretical journal Mezinárodní Vztahy and the scholarly peer-reviewed biannual review Perspectives, which is published in English), articles in scholarly literature, and policy papers;
- Organisation of scholarly events – national and international conferences, seminars, roundtable discussions and presentations (more than sixty per year);
- Cooperation with many governmental organisations and nongovernmental organisations from the Czech Republic and abroad.
- The services of the library, which has a specialised library fund that provides public library and information services;
- Doctoral studies, providing a common doctoral programme with the Metropolitan University of Prague;
- Educational activities and student internships for students from all over the world.
The IIR is the largest Czech research institution in the field of International Relations, European Studies, Security Studies and Area Studies. Its mission is to contribute to European and international IR research. In order to accomplish this goal, IIR builds on a robust body of basic and theoretical research which is subsequently translated into applied research as well as policy advising. IIR’s fields of research include: European Integration, International Security, Development Studies, Territorial Studies (Central Europe, the Middle East, the Far East, Africa, North America, the Balkans), International Law and International Organisations, IR Theory and Research Methodology.
IIR Senior Researcher Petr Kratochvíl is a member of the TEPSA Board since January 2017.
- Symposium: “11th International Symposium “Czech Foreign Policy”: Fostering Multilateralism,” 23-24th of September 2019, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic (IIR, Czech Republic)
- New Think Visegrad Fellow at the Institute of International Relations in Prague: Eoin Micheál McNamara (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “Proving a Negative: Why Deterrence Does Not Work in the Baltics”, Matúš Halás (IIR, Czech Republic)
- Vacancy: Space Policy, Cyber Security Research Fellow (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “‘Putin, You Suck’: Affective Sticking Points in the Czech Narrative on ‘Russian Hybrid Warfare'”, Jakub Eberle, Jan Daniel (IIR, Czech Republic)
- Symposium: “11th International Symposium “Czech Foreign Policy”: Fostering Multilateralism,” (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “The Regional Format 16+1: Early Rusting, Still Alive and Expanding into 17+1”, Rudolf Fürst (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “Discourse and Affect in Foreign Policy”, Jakub Eberle (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “Representative Democracy in Czechia: A Disconnect Between the National and EU Level”, Petr Kratochvíl, Jan Kovář, Zdeněk Sychra (IIR, Czech Republic)
- Vol 54, No 2, Czech Journal of International Relations (IIR, Czech Republic)