Director: Dr. Ondřej Ditrych
Contact: IIR Prague
The Institute of International Relations (IIR) is an independent public research institution which conducts scholarly research in the area of international relations since 1957. Its founder is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic. IIR tries to form a link between the academic world, the public and the international political practice. The main activities of the Institute of International Relations comprise the following:
- Basic and applied research of international relations, often in the framework of Czech, as well as international, projects;
- Publication activities in the form of periodicals (IIR periodicals include the monthly magazine for the general public Mezinárodní Politika, the theoretical journal Mezinárodní Vztahy and the scholarly peer-reviewed biannual review Perspectives, which is published in English), articles in scholarly literature, and policy papers;
- Organisation of scholarly events – national and international conferences, seminars, roundtable discussions and presentations (more than sixty per year);
- Cooperation with many governmental organisations and nongovernmental organisations from the Czech Republic and abroad.
- The services of the library, which has a specialised library fund that provides public library and information services;
- Doctoral studies, providing a common doctoral programme with the Metropolitan University of Prague;
- Educational activities and student internships for students from all over the world.
The IIR is the largest Czech research institution in the field of International Relations, European Studies, Security Studies and Area Studies. Its mission is to contribute to European and international IR research. In order to accomplish this goal, IIR builds on a robust body of basic and theoretical research which is subsequently translated into applied research as well as policy advising. IIR’s fields of research include: European Integration, International Security, Development Studies, Territorial Studies (Central Europe, the Middle East, the Far East, Africa, North America, the Balkans), International Law and International Organisations, IR Theory and Research Methodology.
IIR Senior Researcher Petr Kratochvíl is a member of the TEPSA Board since January 2017.
- “Time to Exist and Resist: the European Union and Russian Political War”, Mark Galeotti (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “Transition Redux: Global Warehousing in Europe’s Westernmost East”, Daniel Šitera (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “Common Fears, Common Opportunities? Czechia and Norway in the Changing International Context”, Mark Galeotti, Jan Mazač, Elena Zhirukhina, Benjamin Tallis (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “Who Governs in the Council? Determinants of Ministerial Participation in Council Meetings”, Jan Kovář (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “The Conference on the Establishment of a Middle East Zone Free of Nuclear Weapons and Other Weapons of Mass Destruction”, Miroslav Tůma (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “The Syrian Safe Zone and International Laws”, Bríd Ní Ghráinne (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “Decentralization In Ukraine: Implications and Challenges”, Andreas Umland (IIR, Czech Republic)
- Seminar: “European Union, Visegrad 4 and Japan: Tradition, Progress, and Prospects for Cooperation”, 10 March 2020 (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “Kick-Starting Cosmopolitan Governance Through Science: The Case of a Giant Laser System”, Nikola Schmidt and Ondřej Ditrych (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “Equivalent Protection”, Veronika Bílková (IIR, Czech Republic)