Director: Brendan Donnelly
Contact: General Information
The Federal Trust is a think tank that studies the interactions between regional, national, European and global levels of government. Founded in 1945 on the initiative of Sir William Beveridge, it has long made a powerful contribution to the study of federalism and federal systems. It has always had a particular interest in the European Union and Britain’s place in it. In more recent years, it has supplemented its European work by studies on devolution and regional government in the United Kingdom and a series of reports on global governance.
The Federal Trust has no allegiance to any political party. It is registered as a charity for the purposes of education and research. The Federal Trust draws on an impressive variety of intellectual resources. Its Patrons and Council Members are prominent individuals from a wide range of backgrounds and professions. Its Research Fellows and staff combine expertise in diverse disciplines including law, finance, economics and politics. The Federal Trust also attracts for its publications and projects the regular help of well-regarded outside experts and practitioners. As a result of the varied expertise on which it draws, the Trust is able to reflect in its work a broad spectrum of ideas and approaches to the questions of national and international governance in which it is interested.
- Video: “Are Boris Johnson & Brexit Finished?”, Brendan Donnelly and John Stevens (Federal Trust, United Kingdom)
- “Brexit can be undone: and so it should be”, Andrew Blick (Federal Trust, United Kingdom)
- Video: “Video: Brexit undermines the rule of law in the UK”, Brendan Donnelly (Federal Trust, United Kingdom)
- “Celebrating Europe Day”, Jaap Hoeksma (The Federal Trust, United Kingdom)
- Experts’ Debrief: Harnessing the EU Accession Perspective for Consolidating Democracy in Accession Trio Countries
- EUCO Debrief May 2022: Ukraine, Sanctions Against Russia, Security & Defence, and more
- Video: “Partygate is Brexit in Microcosm”, Brendan Donnelly and John Stevens (The Federal Trust, United Kingdom)
- Video: “Getting Brexit Undone: In Small Steps or With a Big Bang?”, Brendan Donnelly and John Stevens (The Federal Trust, United Kingdom)
- “The Democratisation of Europe”, Jaap Hoeksma (The Federal Trust, United Kingdom)
- Video: “Can Brexit Be Reversed?”, Brendan Donnelly and John Stevens (The Federal Trust, United Kingdom)