Horizon 2020 Research & Innovation Programme
- European University Institute (Italy, coordinator)
- ARENA – University of Oslo (Norway)
- Istituto Affari Internazionali (Italy)
- Trans European Policy Studies Association (Belgium)
- University of Exeter (United Kingdom)
Differentiation: Clustering Excellence (DiCE) is a Horizon 2020-funded project, which started in January 2020 and will run for three years. Its main objective is to ensure that state-of-the-art research on differentiation is translated into policy advice and made accessible to policy-makers at European, national and regional levels. The ultimate goal is to better prepare the EU for various scenarios of differentiation; ‘differentiation’ describes the process where some member states decide to move ahead together on some policy areas, while others do not.
DiCE, as a Coordination and Support Action, aims to create a unique cluster of excellence by bringing together, through their coordinators, the three successful H2020 projects on differentiation: EU Differentiation, Dominance and Democracy (EU3D), Integrating Diversity in the European Union (InDivEU), and EU Integration and Differentiation for Effectiveness and Accountability (EU IDEA). These projects collectively constitute an unparalleled critical mass of scholars on differentiation.
DiCE is coordinated by the Robert Schuman Centre at the European University Institute in a consortium of five prestigious academic institutions and organisations and will pool the research and experience on differentiation of 38 partner institutions from across Europe, involving more than 50 leading scholars and including universities, think tanks and media.
To be up-to-date with the project activities:
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No. 870789.
- Swedish Pre-Presidency Conference, Stockholm, 1-2 December 2022
- DiCE Townhall: “Should Flexibility and Multi-Speed Europe Become the Norm in European Integration?”, November 11
- Conference: “Differentiation: Clustering Excellence (DiCE) Conference on Ukraine”, November 24-25
- DiCE Townhall Meeting: “From differentiation to unity? Implications of the war in Ukraine for EU migration and asylum policy”, May 18
- DiCE Panel at the Czech Pre-Presidency Conference: “The Future of European Integration: After the Crises and the CoFoE”, May 24
- Czech Pre-Presidency Conference, Prague, 23-24 May 2022
- Summer School: “Differentiated Integration in the EU”, June 20-24
- DiCE Regional Assemblies: what do regional and local governments think of differentiated integration?
- DiCE Webinar Podcast: “Brexit: From Internal to External Differentiation”, Brigid Laffan
- DiCE Webinar Podcast: “Differentiation and the Future of Europe”, Nicoletta Pirozzi