The Institute of International Relations (IIR) is an independent public research institution which conducts scholarly research in the area of international relations since 1957. Its founder is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic. The IIR tries to form a link between the academic world, the public and the international political practice.
The main activities of the Institute of International Relations comprise the following:
- Basic and applied research of international relations, often in the framework of Czech, as well as international, projects
- Publication activities in the form of periodicals (IIR periodicals include the monthly magazine for the general public Mezinárodní politika, the theoretical journal Mezinárodní vztahy and the scholarly peer-reviewed biannual Perspectives, which is published in English), articles in scholarly literature, and policy papers.
- Organization of scholarly events – national and international conferences, seminars, roundtable discussions and presentations (more than sixty per year).
- Cooperation with many governmental organizations and nongovernmental organizations from the Czech Republic and abroad.
- The services of the library, which has a specialized library fund that provides public library and information services.
- Doctoral studies, providing a common doctoral programme with the Metropolitan University of Prague.
- Educational activities, student internships for students from all over the world.
- Research: The IIR is the largest Czech research institution in the field of International Relations, European Studies, Security Studies and Area Studies. Its mission is to contribute to European and international IR research. In order to accomplish this goal, the IIR builds heavily on a robust body of basic and theoretical research which is subsequently translated into applied research as well as policy advising.
The IIR’s fields of research:
- European Integration
- International Security
- Development Studies
- Territorial Studies (Central Europe, the Middle East, the Far East, Africa, North America, the Balkans)
- International Law and International Organizations
- IR Theory and Research Methodology
For more information please refer to our website.