Autumn course: 9 – 11 October 2017
What is the EU Diplomacy & Diplomatic Skills Training Course?
This three-day interactive course is designed for the participants to learn about EU diplomacy, to share experiences and to improve their diplomatic skills. After giving a general introduction to the EU’s external affairs and to the main changes brought by the creation of the European External Action Service (EEAS), the course will focus on relevant diplomatic skills. Practical sessions and exercises will explain to the participants how to report, communicate and negotiate at international level.
The training programme will assist professionals in grasping the complexities of EU external affairs by combining the study of the institutional setup with the skills required to communicate, report and negotiate across cultures.
High-level experienced professionals lead participants through a curriculum based on the new European diplomatic identity and on the key international diplomatic skills.
Which methodology is used?
The programme combines training sessions on both substance and skills:
- Interactive training sessions examining theoretical and practical aspects of EU Diplomacy;
- Workshops and case studies designed to present and develop essential diplomatic skills;
- Feedback session to consolidate knowledge and encourage debate;
- Debates to promote networking and exchange experiences with lecturers and other participants.
The programme is designed to be as interactive as possible. Active participation is required and networking opportunities are strongly encouraged throughout the course.
Through this programme, participants will have an opportunity to:
- Update and improve their knowledge and understanding of the EU’s external affairs and the diplomatic skills;
- Acquire relevant diplomatic skills;
- Explore the role of the European External Action Service and of EU diplomacy more generally;
- Enjoy a unique opportunity to learn in a multicultural environment and extend their personal and professional networks;
- Receive a certificate from the College of Europe upon successful completion of the course.