The Istituto Affari Internazionali (IAI) is hiring a Research Fellow on Africa to work in the Institute’s Global Actors Programme. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate expertise of African domestic, regional and international trends, notably in the Sahel and the Horn, as well as knowledge of the political, economic, climate, migration and security dynamics on the continent. Deadline is 5 Feb 2021.
Her/his tasks will include:
- Supporting the coordination of international research teams and projects;
- Identifying fundraising opportunities, expanding the research agenda and developing the network of IAI’s Africa research area;
- Researching and writing research papers, policy briefs and op-eds;
- Editing papers for publication;
- Organising seminars and conferences, and writing reports based on these events;
- Presenting and participating in conferences, briefings and lectures;
- Speaking to media outlets concerning topics in his/her expertise;
- Updating IAI’s website regarding the projects on which the researcher will work.
The ideal candidate should have:
- A Ph.D., or be a PhD candidate with at least two years of professional experience in research, or have at least four years of professional experience in research;
- Excellent English writing and communication skills;
- Proficiency in Italian;
- Familiarity and experience with both academic literature and policy debates on Africa;
- Familiarity with grant-making initiatives funded by the EU and other public and private entities (e.g. Horizon Europe, etc.)
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
Other qualifications of particular value include:
- an 18-month (or longer) working experience in government agencies, international organisations or non-governmental organisations focusing on Africa;
- proficiency in French;
- publications on Africa matters.
The successful candidate will be offered a term contract lasting one year, starting from March 1st.
Please email a cover letter, resume, writing sample and contact details of two referees to placement(at)iai.it (Rif: Africa-2021). Applications are due by 5 February 2021. Letter of references are welcome. No phone calls, please. Interviews will be tentatively held in Rome – or via electronic means if travel restrictions still apply – in the week of 8 to 12 February 2021. Please note that the Selection Board’s work and deliberations are strictly confidential.