The Institute of International Relations Prague (IIR) has been the leading academic institution for the study of international relations in the Czech Republic since 1957. An active member of international research networks, the Institute’s mission is to conduct excellent academic research in the field of international relations and other related disciplines. The Institute, founded and affiliated with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic, moreover provides policy analysis and recommendations that shape the decision making process at the national and EU levels. The third pillar of the Institute’s mission is to stimulate and broaden the horizons of expert, intellectual and public debates on foreign policy and global issues. Located in the historical centre of Prague, its venue and library provide a stimulating environment for scholars and students of international relations.
The Institute now seeks to hire Researcher or Senior Researcher to join its new Centre for European Politics, with the following or similar expertise:
- European integration;
- European security, with focus on traditional defence and military issues affecting Europe and its neighbourhood, as well as new threats;
- politics of European countries.
The principal duty of the (senior) researcher will be to conduct international competitive research and publish its results in peer-reviewed international academic journals and with internationally respected publishing houses. In addition to that, they should be able to carry out policy analysis and provide decision-makers with their expertise in the form of policy papers, ad hoc studies, and consultations. He/she will be expected to cooperate with the members of the research centre of which they will be members on collective publications, projects and public events. He/she will also be encouraged to appear in the media and engage in the public debate in their area of focus. With the support of the IIR’s project manager, they are also expected to apply for additional research funding and become (co-)leaders of research projects that will include Institute’s other researchers, associate researchers or Ph.D. students.
What We Expect
- D. or, as a minimum, being enrolled as a Ph.D. student (in International Relations or related subjects),
- previous experience with research,
- solid theoretical and methodological background,
- academic publications, such as articles in peer-reviewed international journals, and academic books or book chapters published by respected publishing houses,
- motivation for personal growth, flexibility, reliability, initiative, capacity to deliver quality results both unsupervised and in a team, and residence in Prague.
What We Offer
- excellent opportunity for scholars seeking public engagement and involvement in policy,
- participation in ongoing and research projects, with additional substantial financial rewards,
- motivational bonuses based on the researcher’s publications,
- intellectually stimulating, fully internationalised research environment (English as a working language in the research department communication) offering a good work / life balance (crèche in the building, flexible working hours and home office),
- dedicated research infrastructure,
- a relocation subsidy and Czech language courses (if necessary) for successful applicants moving from abroad,
- five weeks of vacation, meal tickets.
How to Apply
Candidates are kindly requested to send the following materials by email to the Mr. Jaromír Jurnost at email@example.com.
- A cover letter
- A curriculum vitae with a list of publications
- A copy of one recent academic text that is considered best by the candidate
The closing date for applications is November 15, 2020. Selected candidates shall be invited for interviews.
The expected start date is January 1, 2021. It may be negotiated based on individual circumstances.
The Institute of International Relations is a fair opportunity employer.
Learn more here.