The Institute of International Relations Prague (IIR) has been the leading academic institution for the study of international relations in the Czech Republic since 1957. An active member of international research networks, the Institute’s mission is to conduct excellent academic research in the field of international relations and other related disciplines. The Institute, founded and affiliated with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic, moreover provides policy analysis and recommendations that shape the decision making process at the national and EU levels. The third pillar of the Institute’s mission is to stimulate and broaden the horizons of expert, intellectual and public debates on foreign policy and global issues. Located in the historical centre of Prague, its venue and library provide a stimulating environment for scholars and students of international relations.
We are looking for a new colleague for the position Researcher or Senior Researcher (International Law, part-time 0,5) at the Institute‘s Centre for International Law. The Centre carries out research topics at the intersection of international law and international relations. It focuses on the areas of human rights, international criminal law, the law of armed conflicts, international institutional law and the theory of international law. The principal duty of the Senior Researcher will be to conduct international quality research in international law and publish its results in international journals and via publishing houses. In addition to that, s/he should be able to carry out policy analysis and provide policy makers with her/his expertise in the form of policy papers, ad hoc studies and consultations. S/he will be expected to cooperate with the members of the Centre on the publications and public events organized by the Centre. S/he will also be encouraged to appear in the media and engage in the public debate on international law. With the support of the IIR’s project manager, s/he is also expected to apply for additional research funding and become a leader or co-leader of research projects that will include other IIR research fellows, associate researchers and PhD students.
What We Expect
- Ph.D (in Law, International Law or a closely related subject),
- previous experience in research,
- a solid theoretical and methodological background in international law,
- several academic publications, such as articles in legal journals, and academic books or book chapters,
- flexibility, reliability, capacity to work in a team,
- Solid knowledge of English and ideally Czech.
What We Offer
- A part-time job (0,5 / 20 hours per week),
- excellent opportunity for scholars seeking public engagement and involvement in policy,
- participation in ongoing and research projects, with additional substantial financial rewards,
- motivational bonuses based on the researcher’s publications,
- intellectually stimulating, fully internationalised research environment (English as a working language in the research department communication) offering a good work / life balance (crèche in the building, flexible working hours and home office),
- dedicated research infrastructure,
- five weeks of vacation, meal tickets.
How to Apply
Candidates are kindly requested to send the following materials by email to the Mr. Jaromir Jurnost at firstname.lastname@example.org
- A cover letter
- A curriculum vitae with a list of publications
- A copy of one recent academic text that is considered best by the candidate
The closing date for applications is November 15, 2020. Selected candidates shall be invited for interviews.
The expected start date is January 1, 2021. It may be negotiated based on individual circumstances.
Learn more here.