CETEUS (Centre for Turkey and European Union Studies) is a 2016-founded centre and Jean Monnet Chair for Turkey and European Union Studies (MONTEUS) at University of Cologne. It is directed by Prof Wolfgang Wessels (director). With its focus on research and teaching on EU and Turkey related affairs and institutional evolution of the EU, it continues the work of the Jean Monnet Chair for European Politics of Prof Wolfgang Wessels.
CETEUS activities at the University of Cologne benefit from a strong and broad EU-Turkey network and longstanding tradition in teaching EU studies. The centre offers seminars, conferences and public discussions on EU-Turkey relations at the University of Cologne and beyond. CETEUS has a strong link to the TurkishGerman University (TAU) in Istanbul.
CETEUS research activities target EU-Turkey relations and links to contemporary Turkey studies. They are embedded in an EU-wide network and founded on close relations to leading universities in Turkey. Within its research projects the centre engages in promoting academic exchange with young researchers from Germany, the EU and Turkey aiming at integrating them into the European Research Area.
Teaching and publications
- Courses at BA and MA level at the University of Cologne and at the Turkish-German University (TAU) in Istanbul.
- CETEUS Book Series on Turkey and European Union Studies. First title: “Turkey as an Energy
Hub? Contributions on Turkey’s Role in EU Energy Supply”, Schröder, Bettzüge, Wessels (eds.), 2017
- Educational books on the political system of the EU in German and English.
Current research and teaching projects include:
- VIADUCT: Enhancing the Visibility of the Academic Dialogue on EU Turkey relations (Jean Monnet Network, European Commission): a consortium of 40 Partners from Turkey, all EU countries as well as several neighboring countries will foster substantiate academic and policy dialogue and build knowledge on the future of the EU and EU-Turkey relations as a ‘moving target’. CETUES is VIADUCT’s coordination office.
- FEUTURE: The Future of EU-Turkey Relations: Mapping Dynamics and Testing Scenarios (European Commission, Horizon 2020): a consortium of 15 partner institutes in Europe will identify and analyse underlying historical narratives and drivers of EU-Turkey relations in six thematic dimensions of political, economics, security, energy, migration and identity. This research will help to elaborate and test most likely scenario(s) of EU-Turkey relations.
- TRIANGLE: Blickwechsel in EU/German-Turkish Relations. Beyond Conflicts – Towards a Unique
Partnership for a Contemporary Turkey? (Contemporary Turkey Studies, Stiftung Mercator)
- MONTEUS: Jean Monnet Chair for Turkey and European Union Studies, offering seminars for
students at BA, MA and PhD level
- EUCOPAS: Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence – Debating the European Union in Cologne and
Academic Coordinator: Prof Wolfgang Wessels
Network director: Dr Funda Tekin
Network Manager: Darius Ribbe