Plovdiv University “Paisii Hilendarski” in its present shape was founded in 1961, but as special institution of education it has existed during a rather longer period. After the liberation of Bulgaria from Ottoman domination in 1878, Plovdiv was the biggest cultural center in the newly founded principality but it was decided that the first national university should be in the capital Sofia. However, our historic legacy, the rectory, is located in former boys’ Catholic College “St.Agustin” and was closed after the establishment of the Communist rule in the late 40’s.
Today Plovdiv University is the biggest higher education institution outside the capital and it is on the third place in the country for its size, with around 19.000 students. It has 9 faculties with a very strong liberal arts branch but also developing dynamic achievements in its technological part with faculties of chemistry, biology and physic engineering. The university is proud to have numerous successful discoveries with recognized patents in the field of sciences, but it is also very active in developing humanities and political sciences.
It has one of the first European Documentation Centres (EDC-PU) in the country and provided Jean Monnet lectures in European integration since the opening of this programme in Bulgaria in 2001. Before participating in the consortium of the VIADUCT project, it was also very active in supporting the previous project of the University of Cologne – LISBOAN.
Coordinator for VIADUCT from Plovdiv University is Assoc. Prof. Dr. Valentin Petroussenko from the Department of History at the Faculty of Philosophy and History. His duties also comprise Jean Monnet lectures, academic counselling of the EDC as well as coordination of ERASMUS+ and CEEPUS.
Name of person responsible for VIADUCT activities: Assoc. Prof. Dr. Valentin Petroussenko