- How can an impact assessment (IA) system be developed or how can an IA system be optimised?
- How can you assess the effectiveness and efficiency of policy proposals?
- How can you ensure high-quality ex ante impact assessments?
- How can you use an impact assessment as a supporting tool for decision-making?
This online course will answer all the above questions and specifically, it will enhance your ability to design, manage and communicate the results of ex ante IAs conducted by your organisation.
Learn how to ensure high-quality ex ante IAs. First, gain a good understanding of the needs and uses of ex ante impact assessments. Enhance your knowledge and skills in the main methods used in IAs (e.g. cost–benefit analysis). Gain insight into good practices through the lessons learned from implementation of the better regulation guidelines and toolbox. Importantly, learn about how to ensure the quality of your IAs through lessons learned from the EC as well as MSs. Finally, gain an overview of what happens after the IA is published and how IAs can influence the next steps in policymaking.
What you will learn in this course:
- how to manage an ex ante impact assessment of a legal act, and how to consult and engage with stakeholders;
- the analytical steps of an IA (defining the problem, setting objectives, developing policy options, measuring impacts, etc.);
- the state-of-the-art methodologies and tools to assess the impacts;
- how to adjust your expectations and choose the right shortcuts when selecting the best possible methodological approach (e.g. qualitative vs quantitative);
- how the European Commission system ensures transparency and quality of the IA work (stakeholder consultation, Regulatory Scrutiny Board);
- why IA has become a key tool for the development of EU policy and how to engage with the process;
- the enablers and barriers for setting up an IA system: how an effective IA system can be developed in a Member State; how MSs assess policies and legal acts; the common pitfalls, the good practices.
The course will be led by experts who have decades of research and practical experience in IA in the EU context and beyond.
The course delivery will combine interactive presentations showcasing practical examples, quick polls to consolidate concepts and group exercises.
Learning path on Better Regulation
This course is part of our learning path on Beter Regulation. If you prefer to register for one of the other courses of the learning path, please click on Introduction to the Better Regulation Agenda or on Regulatory ex-post Evaluations.
You can also combine two or more courses in the learning path into one package for a reduced fee.
Learn more here.