The Istituto Affari Internazionali (IAI), based in Rome, (Italy), is hiring a Researcher to work in the EU, Politics and Institutions Programme and the Energy, Climate and Resources Programme on the following topics:
- The nexus between climate, migration, and security, with a particular focus on the Sahel region;
- Multidimensional and interconnected policy challenges at the intersection of sustainable development, security and governance;
- Realignment of European foreign policy and transatlantic cooperation within the framework of multilateral governance;
- The EU’s role in promoting new approaches to multilateral cooperation within and beyond the UN system
The successful candidate will carry out activities including:
- Research and writing papers, reports and policy briefs;
- Revision of written material for publication;
- Organizing seminars and conferences;
- Attending and presenting at meetings, conferences, briefings and seminars;
- Coordinating with the communication team on external communication about the project for which s/he works;
- Assisting project coordination tasks, including reporting.
Applicants must have the following requirements:
- Italian or foreign Master Degree in: political sciences, economics, international and diplomatic relations, development policies, diplomatic studies, law or other relevant specialisations;
- Excellent knowledge of English (written and spoken);
- Sound knowledge of political/strategic issues related to the links between climate, migration and security issues;
- Knowledge of/familiarity with EU foreign policy;
- At least two years of professional experience in the research related to the fields of climate, migration and security (which may include enrollment in/completion of a PhD);
- Publications (academic and/or policy-oriented) in English on topics related to climate, migration and security (which may include a Masters thesis);
- Strong policy-oriented synthesis and writing skills;
- Organisational skills and the ability to hand in deliverables on time.
- Familiarity with debates on strategic transatlantic cooperation and discussions on multilateral governance.
Regional expertise or knowledge on the Sahel region would constitute a strong asset.
The successful candidate will be offered a term contract lasting from 15 November 2021 to 14 January 2023. The remuneration foreseen for the above-mentioned contract is € 1,700.00 gross per month.
Applications must be submitted by 28 October 2021, 23:59 (CET) to ECR(at)iai.it , email object: last name – Rif. CLIMATE MIGRATION NEXUS, attaching, possibly in a single pdf document:
- CV including date of birth, title of the Master’s thesis and final grade, any additional qualifications (e.g. PhD – completed or currently enrolled), relevant work experience;
- Motivational letter in English (max 2 pages);
- 2 writing samples (e.g., academic and/or policy-oriented publications) in English.
The candidate may also attach a letter of reference. No phone calls, please. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview in early November, preferably in Rome at IAI headquarters, or online (Skype or other platforms). No communication will be sent to non-selected candidates, whom we thank in advance for their interest. Please note that the Selection Board’s work and deliberations are strictly confidential.