Director: Prof. Martin Kocher
Contact: IHS Office
The Institute for Advanced Studies (IHS) is an independent research institute covering the areas of Economics, political Science and Sociology. The combination of basic academic research, applied research and policy advice under one roof provides a unique combination positioning the IHS firmly at the crossroads of academia and public policy. It was founded in 1963 by two emigrated scholars, the sociologist Paul F. Lazarsfeld and the economist Oskar Morgenstern, with the financial support from the Ford Foundation, the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, and the City of Vienna, with the main task to establish modern social sciences in Austria.
The IHS turned out to be highly successful: for more than 50 years it trains social scientists and economists, provides policy input for public and private actors, and has become a benchmark for academic research. Today, the IHS is the primary institution for postgraduate education and research in economics and social sciences in Austria. Around 125 scientists cover topics ranging from health care policy to labour market and employment policy, from higher education to innovation policies, from European integration to energy policy, from industrial policy to education etc. Top-ranking international scholars from around the world attend the Institute in Vienna either as guest professors or visiting fellows. As a forum for discussion and debate, the Institute frequently organises different types of meetings – lectures, seminars, and conferences.
The IHS’ work is made available in a wide range of publications, most of which are accessible on its website. Press releases, working paper series, and policy briefs complement the publication activities geared towards the highest ranking peer reviewed journals. The IHS participates in leading networks ranging from the American Political Science Association (APSA), the European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR), International Political Science Association (IPSA), International Sociological Association (ISA), European Consortium for Sociological Research (ECSR), European Sociological Association (ESA), and the European Network of Economic Policy Research Institutes (ENEPRI).
- 2020 Global Go to Think-Tank Index: TEPSA once again confirmed as one of the leading think-tank networks in the world
- “The African Continental Free Trade Area: The Role of EU Support for Africa’s Historic Trade Agreement”, Iona Lungu (ÖGFE, Austria)
- Online Event: “Living with Coronavirus”, 29 June – 1 July (IHS, Austria)
- “How to boost productivity in the EU”, Klaus Weyerstrass (IHS, Austria)
- TEPSA Brief “The champions of Euroscepticism? Austria’s citizens and the EU”, Katrin Auel
- TEPSA Austrian Pre-Presidency Conference report now available
- TEPSA Austrian Pre-Presidency Conference, Vienna, 7-8 June 2018
- Save the date: Pre-Presidency conference in Vienna (Austria), 7-8 June 2018
- “The challenge of social cohesion: Addressing long-term consequences of the 2015 refugee crisis for Europe”, Bernhard Riederer (ÖGfE, Austria)
- Could Austria join the Visegrád Group?, Paul Schmidt (Austrian Society for European Politics – ÖGfE)