Director: Matthias Waechter
Over 60 years, CIFE has been an unstinting advocate of European integration through our international and interdisciplinary study programmes. CIFE is a private institution of higher education and research, founded in 1954 with its head office in Nice and branch offices in Berlin, Brussels and Istanbul. It receives special funding in the framework of the Jean Monnet Programme of the European Union.
Every year, students from all continents and a great variety of countries enroll in its programmes, which lead to a degree at Master level (EQF 7) recognised by the French state. The graduates of CIFE’s Master’s programmes work as Senior officials in European institutions, policy officers within the UN framework, administrators, diplomats, consultants, researchers for think tanks, lobbyists, and academic experts.
CIFE has a vision:
- Inspired by the European model: living together in peace, prosperity and with responsibility
- With an international team and decentralised structures
- With a federal concept of European education: “unity in diversity”
CIFE firmly believes that European integration is an historical achievement, a model of how people may live together in mutual tolerance and respect, in peace, in prosperity and with a shared responsibility. CIFE’s share of responsibility in a Europe looking towards the future, is to teach and learn about European integration and to enable students to share this knowledge, over and above pure scientific interest.
CIFE itself lives up to what it teaches: Its staff is international, with employees from France and Germany, Belgium and Italy, Lithuania and Bulgaria, Poland and Turkey. With offices in Nice and Berlin, in Brussels and Rome as well as in Istanbul, CIFE’s decentralised, almost federal structure allows for autonomous teams to run academic programmes to meet specific requirements, and yet binds the whole team together in terms of its European commitment.
In CIFE’s vision of Europeans living together, federal structures would best allow for a reasonable balance between diversity and unity. The choice of federalism means an ongoing, open process of addressing each problem, each task and challenge, at the level of governance best suited to deal with it – led by the principle of subsidiarity. Understood in this way, federalism is a method, an attitude, which must be continuously under review. CIFE is committed to this open-end method of reshaping the European model, together with its global academic network of colleagues and its students from all continents.
- Call for Applications: “Master in Global Energy Transition and Governance”, Deadline July 15 (CIFE)
- Call for Applications: “Master in Advanced European and International Studies – European policy and Governance – Trilingual Studies”, Deadline July 31 (CIFE)
- Call for Applications: “Master in Advanced European and International Studies – Mediterranean Studies”, Deadline June 30 (CIFE)
- Call for Applications: Summer University in Prague (CIFE)
- Call for Papers: “International Colloquium – The Challenge of the Universal Basic Income in the EU: Which Funding Options? Who Benefits?”, Deadline September 15 (CIFE)
- Call for applications: Master Programmes at CIFE 2021/22, Deadline July 15 (CIFE)
- Call for Papers: L’Europe en formation, Deadline June 30 (CIFE)
- Call for Applications: “Executive Master in EU Studies”, Deadline September 5 (CIFE)
- “Working in the Field of International Cooperation”, Interview with Florent Stora (CIFE)
- Video podcast: Jean-Claude Juncker on Major European issues (CIFE)