Director: Dr. Ondřej Ditrych
Contact: IIR Prague
The Institute of International Relations (IIR) is an independent public research institution which conducts scholarly research in the area of international relations since 1957. Its founder is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic. IIR tries to form a link between the academic world, the public and the international political practice. The main activities of the Institute of International Relations comprise the following:
- Basic and applied research of international relations, often in the framework of Czech, as well as international, projects;
- Publication activities in the form of periodicals (IIR periodicals include the monthly magazine for the general public Mezinárodní Politika, the theoretical journal Mezinárodní Vztahy and the scholarly peer-reviewed biannual review Perspectives, which is published in English), articles in scholarly literature, and policy papers;
- Organisation of scholarly events – national and international conferences, seminars, roundtable discussions and presentations (more than sixty per year);
- Cooperation with many governmental organisations and nongovernmental organisations from the Czech Republic and abroad.
- The services of the library, which has a specialised library fund that provides public library and information services;
- Doctoral studies, providing a common doctoral programme with the Metropolitan University of Prague;
- Educational activities and student internships for students from all over the world.
The IIR is the largest Czech research institution in the field of International Relations, European Studies, Security Studies and Area Studies. Its mission is to contribute to European and international IR research. In order to accomplish this goal, IIR builds on a robust body of basic and theoretical research which is subsequently translated into applied research as well as policy advising. IIR’s fields of research include: European Integration, International Security, Development Studies, Territorial Studies (Central Europe, the Middle East, the Far East, Africa, North America, the Balkans), International Law and International Organisations, IR Theory and Research Methodology.
IIR Senior Researcher Petr Kratochvíl is a member of the TEPSA Board since January 2017.
- “China’s soft power in the Czech Republic”, Rudolf Fürst (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “Exploring neoliberal resilience”, Daniel Šitera (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “Bohemian Forest Dark Tales: The Czech Republic, Russia’s Dirty War Machine and Western Solidarity”, Ondřej Ditrych (IIR, Czech Republic)
- Seminar: “Republic of Conscience: Human Rights and Poetry” (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “Exploring neoliberal resilience: the transnational politics of austerity in Czechia”, Daniel Šitera (IIR, Czech Republic)
- Seminar on International Law, Human Trafficking, and Refugees (IIR, Czech Republic)
- IIR has a new website (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “China and Central Europe: cooperation in difficult times during the COVID-19 outbreak”, Rudolf Fürst (IIR, Czech Republic)
- Internship Vacancy: Research Assistant (IIR, Czech Republic)
- Online Conference: “The Indo-Pacific in the Post-Trump Era: Expectations and Challenges”, March 18 (IIR, Czech Republic)