Director: Dr. Ondřej Ditrych
Contact: IIR Prague
The Institute of International Relations (IIR) is an independent public research institution which conducts scholarly research in the area of international relations since 1957. Its founder is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic. IIR tries to form a link between the academic world, the public and the international political practice. The main activities of the Institute of International Relations comprise the following:
- Basic and applied research of international relations, often in the framework of Czech, as well as international, projects;
- Publication activities in the form of periodicals (IIR periodicals include the monthly magazine for the general public Mezinárodní Politika, the theoretical journal Mezinárodní Vztahy and the scholarly peer-reviewed biannual review Perspectives, which is published in English), articles in scholarly literature, and policy papers;
- Organisation of scholarly events – national and international conferences, seminars, roundtable discussions and presentations (more than sixty per year);
- Cooperation with many governmental organisations and nongovernmental organisations from the Czech Republic and abroad.
- The services of the library, which has a specialised library fund that provides public library and information services;
- Doctoral studies, providing a common doctoral programme with the Metropolitan University of Prague;
- Educational activities and student internships for students from all over the world.
The IIR is the largest Czech research institution in the field of International Relations, European Studies, Security Studies and Area Studies. Its mission is to contribute to European and international IR research. In order to accomplish this goal, IIR builds on a robust body of basic and theoretical research which is subsequently translated into applied research as well as policy advising. IIR’s fields of research include: European Integration, International Security, Development Studies, Territorial Studies (Central Europe, the Middle East, the Far East, Africa, North America, the Balkans), International Law and International Organisations, IR Theory and Research Methodology.
IIR Senior Researcher Petr Kratochvíl is a member of the TEPSA Board since January 2017.
- “Vietnamese drug networks in the Czech Republic: Development, share in the illicit market, structures, and modi operandi”, Miroslav Nožina (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “The EU’s Mission to Rebuild Ukraine: Problems and Priorities”, Taras Prodaniuk and Artur Koldomasov, (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “The Transformation of Kurdish and Islamist Parties in Turkey”, Pelin Ayan Musil (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “International Theory and German Foreign Policy”, Jakub Eberle (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “Digital sovereignty, geopolitical imaginaries, and the reproduction of European identity”, Linda Monses, Daniel Lambach, (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “Politics of the Debtfare State: Repoliticizing the Czech Debt Enforcement Order and Its Limits”, Daniel Šitera (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “Defence cooperation and change: How defence industry integration fostered development of the European security community”, Ondřej Ditrych and Tomáš Kučera (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “The Diplomatic Rapprochement between Turkey and Egypt: Implications and Recommendations for the Czech Presidency of the EU”, Clément Steuer, Pelin Ayan Musil and Sinan Arda (IIR, Czech Republic)
- “When International Disasters Affect Technology Transfer: Where is International Law?”, Federica Cristiani (IIR, Czech Republic)
- Trans European Policy Studies Association Launches Book on Russia and the Future of Europe