Director: Kristian Fischer
Contact: DIIS Office
The Danish Institute for International Studies (DIIS) is a leading public research institute based in Copenhagen. Its researchers are active in national and international debates and academic networks on foreign policy, international security and development. They produce high-quality academic research and publish in top-ranking journals. DIIS researchers also carry out research-based consultancies and commissioned work, in which they assess Denmark’s foreign and political situation and inform the Danish media, policy makers and the public about their work. Commissioned policy work is typically requested by the Danish Parliament, ministries, or similar clients. Finally, DIIS has a special obligation to keep the memory of the Holocaust alive and therefore carries out educational and informative work on this subject.
DIIS’ research is organized into the following units: Foreign Policy & Diplomacy; Global Security & Worldviews; Migration & Global Order; Peace & Violence; and Sustainable Development & Governance. The Foreign Policy unit includes research and analysis on EU external relations, such as development, trade, migration, defence and energy. It further includes work on the foreign policies of individual member states such as France, Germany, Italy and Denmark, and assesses the way in which they intertwine with the EU level.
DIIS has approximately 100 employees comprising both research and support staff. They have different academic backgrounds, mostly from political science, the social sciences, international development and military studies.
- 2020 Global Go to Think-Tank Index: TEPSA once again confirmed as one of the leading think-tank networks in the world
- EU-India Experts’ Day, Brussels, 2 April 2019
- FEUTURE Online Paper No. 31: Five phases of AKP identity politics and how it affects Turkey-EU relations
- Jair Bolsonaro and the culture of corruption, Marie Kolling (DIIS, Denmark)
- “Latin Americas evolving migration crisis”, Ninna Nyberg Sørensen and Cesar Castilla (DIIS, Denmark)
- Discover the VIADUCT Network: Danish Institute for International Studies
- FEUTURE Online Paper No. 25: “EU Public Opinion on Turkish EU Membership”
- FEUTURE Closed Door Meeting with EU stakeholders, Brussels, 27 September 2018
- FEUTURE Expert Workshop: “Game (Not) Over: Mapping Dynamics and Testing Scenarios in EU-Turkey relations in a Global Perspective”, Bodrum, 15 October 2018
- TEPSA as one of the leading think-tank networks in the world by the Global Go To Think-Tank Index