Institute of European Studies – Jagiellonian University in Kraków
Contact: email address
The Institute of European Studies makes part of the Faculty of International and Political Studies at Jagiellonian University – the oldest and the leading university in Poland. IES is known for its interdisciplinary approach, combining the perspectives of anthropology, economy, cultural studies, political science and international relations, history, law and sociology on Europe.
IES participates in research networks and international consortia, notably the research projects funded by the Horizon 2020 “POPREBEL. Populist rebellion against modernity in 21st-century Eastern Europe: neo-traditionalism and neo-feudalism” (2019-2021) and “EU3D. EU Differentiation, Dominance and Democracy” (2019-2023). IES has been participating in COST Actions as well as numerous Jean Monnet Networks and it has been involved in a number of nationally funded projects.
Educationally, IES hosts BA and MA programmes in European Studies in Polish and a variety of BA, study abroad and international MA in English. IES is a part of the Horizon 2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions Innovative Training Network: ‘Delayed Transformational Fatigue in Central and Eastern Europe: Responding to the Rise of Illiberalism/Populism’ (FATIGUE) (2018-2022) coordinated by University College London.
The main research activities of IES focus on following areas: transformations of collective identities in Europe; Euroscepticism, populism and contestation of European integration in Europe and especially in Central and Eastern Europe; democracy and democratisation; EU foreign policy, external relations with special focus on neighbourhood and EU enlargement; public and cultural diplomacy in European context; EU institutions and politics, differentiated integration and future of Europe; regions and regionalism; migrations in Europe, legal perspectives on European integration including human rights, EU anti-discrimination law, gender and law; heritage and memory studies; European art and culture.
- Job Vacancy: “Postdoctoral Researcher”, Deadline August 16 (IES, Poland)
- Job Vacancy: “Postdoctoral Researcher (Two Positions)”, Deadline August 16 (IES, Poland)
- “Conclusions on contestation of EU foreign policy: diverse causes, various modes and multiple effects?”, Elodie Thevenin, Lina Liedlbauer and Franziska Petri (IES, Poland)
- “Contestation of European Union foreign policy: causes, modes and effects”, Franziska Petri, Elodie Thevenin and Lina Liedlbauer (IES, Poland)
- Dr. Wojciech Burek has received a Humboldt Research Fellowship for experienced researchers (IES, Poland)
- Online Conference: “XXVIII International Conference: Knowledge and Power in the Process of Decolonozation Revisited”, July 7-9 (IES, Poland)
- Online Conference: “European Cities in the Process of Constructing and Transmitting European Cultural Heritage”, May 6 (IES, Poland)
- “Finding the roots of neo-traditionalist populism in Poland: ‘Cultural displacement’ and European integration”, Francesco Melito (IES, Poland)
- “‘I want to be European, but I find it hard to be’: Identity between emotions and rights”, Camille Dobler (IES, Poland)
- “From Europe to the Arab Peninsula? Cultural diplomacy practices in the United Arab Emirates”, Daniel Gołębiowski (IES, Poland)