Director: Dr Mark Harwood
Contact: Institute for European Studies
The Institute for European Studies is a multi-disciplinary teaching and research institute within the University of Malta. It runs an evening Diploma course, as well as full-time courses leading to the Bachelor of European Studies degree and to qualifications at MA and PhD level. Each year Maltese and international students enrol in its degree programmes, and through the ERASMUS Programme it offers a number of student and staff exchanges with universities and institutions of higher learning abroad. All of the Institute’s courses are fully in line with Bologna Process guidelines.
Founded in 1991 as the European Documentation and Research Centre (EDRC), the Institute was granted the status of a Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence in 2004. The Institute is engaged in various research and publication activities in European Integration Studies and is a member of the Trans-European Policy Studies Association (TEPSA), EPERN (European Parties Elections and Referendums Network), EADI (the European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes), PADEMIA (the Erasmus Academic Network on Parliamentary Democracy in Europe), the European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR), and the two Euro-Mediterranean networks, EuroMeSCo (the Euro-Mediterranean Study Commission) and FEMISE. The Institute is also a member of the Council for European Studies (hosted at Columbia University). The research interests of its staff include comparative politics and history of the European Union (EU); EU institutions; EU external relations and enlargement; small states in the EU; Malta in the EU; Euro-Mediterranean Relations; Stability and Growth Pact; Economic Governance of the Euro Area; Europe 2020; EU development policies and climate change.
- WATCH: “Malta-Russia Relations & the Libyan Civil War”, Mark Harwood | TEPSA Explainers
- Trans European Policy Studies Association Launches Book on Russia and the Future of Europe
- Call for Papers: “20 years of EU Membership”, Deadline September 23 (Institute for European Studies, Malta)
- WATCH: European Solidarity in Action | #EuropeChats Episode 8
- Job Vacancy: “Resident Academic in European Studies”, Deadline June 18 (Institute for European Studies, Malta)
- WATCH: “Euroscepticism in Malta”, Mark Harwood | TEPSA Explainers
- Book launch: “The Future of the European Union: Demisting the debate”, 13 February 2020 (Institute for European Studies, Malta)
- Public talk on ‘The EU and its International Trade Policy’, 26 March 2019, Valletta (Institute for European Studies, Malta)
- “Malta’s EU Presidency: A Study in a Small State Presidency of the Council of the EU” (Institute for European Studies, Malta)
- Public lecture: “Between a rock and a hard border: Conservative Party approaches to Brexit” (Institute for European Studies, Malta)