Director: Monika Sie Dhian Ho
Contact: Clingendael Information
The Netherlands Institute of International Relations (‘Clingendael’) is a think tank and diplomatic training institute situated in The Hague. Clingendael’s location – in a park with all the ministries at a short distance – is well chosen to support international exchange and facilitate interactions between practitioners, academia and media. Clingendael covers research on a wide range of issues in international relations including an Asian Studies Programme, an International Energy Programme, and Diplomatic Studies and Security and Conflict Studies. The Clingendael European Studies Programme (CESP) consists of ten researchers and trainers and works closely together with the other Clingendael Programmes. Its main objective is to contextualise current EU developments in longer term trends.
The research addresses a wide range of topics. The areas of expertise within CESP include: EU’s external relations; European governance and better regulation; Justice and Home Affairs, asylum, migration and external borders; EU Climate Policy; EU Institutions; EU Budget; EU Agencies; Internal Market;EU Energy Policy; Negotiation and international culture.
Clingendael’s work involves consultancy projects, academic publications and training. In addition, it operates in the media. It is important for Clingendael’s work work to be well connected to policy makers and experts in the field and to organise seminars and public debates. Clingendael’s events range from organising international workshops on particular topics for senior policy makers to debates with M(E)P’s for the wider public and high level conferences for all types of players. Moreover, Clingendael provides training programmes for different types of organisations and audiences.
- 2020 Global Go to Think-Tank Index: TEPSA once again confirmed as one of the leading think-tank networks in the world
- InDivEU Stakeholder Forums 2020-2021
- “Monitoring and Enforcement in the European Union”, A. Schout and C. Padberg (Clingendael Institute, The Netherlands)
- “The European Commission in Balance? Ambition, organisation and power”, Adriaan Schout and Adriaan Nunes (Clingendael Institute, The Netherlands)
- “Ambitions and Results: Lessons from the Juncker Commission”, Adriaan Schout, Jan Marinus Wiersma and Adriaan Nunes (Clingendael Institute, The Netherlands)
- “Trump’s impact on European security”, Peter Van Ham (Clingendael Institute, The Netherlands)
- TEPSA as one of the leading think-tank networks in the world by the Global Go To Think-Tank Index
- TEPSA-Clingendael Event: From Broadening to Managing the Rule of Law Agenda, 6 December 2016
- Launch ASEF Public Diplomacy Handbook, Clingendael Institute
- Recent publications from the Institute of International Relations ‘Clingendael’ – Spring/summer 2016