Director: Oana-Mihaela Mocanu
Founded in 2000, the European Institute of Romania (EIR) is a public institution that operates under the coordination of the Romanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It supports the decision-making process related to European affairs and offers specific expertise in this field. Targeting the Romanian public administration, business community, social partners and civil society, EIR’s activity is focused on five key domains: research in European affairs; training on European policies; communication in EU affairs; translation of the EHRC case-law; implementation of European projects.
EIR’s main topics of research include: multiannual financial framework; circular economy; digital single market; cybersecurity; artificial intelligence; Western Balkans; Eastern Partnership; direct/representative/deliberative democracy; and others.
The Institute has experience in running different types of projects, granted from national or European Funds. Some of the projects are focused on research and analysis or training, while others focus on raising awareness/communicating about European policies, mechanisms and values. In this sense, EIR has hosted the Bucharest Europe Direct Information Centre since 2013 and has been a national partner for the Eurofound Network of Correspondents since 2014.
EIR is the editor of the Romanian Journal of European Affairs, a Romanian academic publication focused on high-quality research on current European topics, from migration, security, energy, economic and monetary affairs to EU institutional design, EU foreign policy, etc. The journal is published on a semi-annual schedule, and is indexed and abstracted in various international scientific databases such as Emerging Sources Citation Index (Clarivate Analytics), ProQuest, Ebsco, Scopus, CEEOL, HeinOnline, ErihPlus.
- “Romanian Journal of European Affairs” (EIR, Romania)
- WATCH: European Solidarity in Action | #EuropeChats Episode 8
- “From digitalisation to digital transformation in Romania”, Flavia Durach, Mirela Mărcuț, Radu Puchiu and Veronica Ștefan (EIR, Romania)
- “European Union in Central Asia during the COVID-19 pandemic: crisis response and future recovery”, Ana-Maria Anghelescu (EIR, Romania)
- EIR organises two events in the framework of the “Dialogues@EIR” series (EIR, Romania)
- “Romanian Journal of European Affairs, vol. 21, no. 1, June 2021” (EIR, Romania)
- TEPSA Welcomes Three New Member Institutes