Are you willing to go that extra mile to become the next generation Data Protection Officer? Because this is what we, at EIPA, have done when preparing this course for you! In a time of unprecedented challenges to our status quo, with organisations forced to adapt overnight to the new normal, data protection has been ranking high on the European agenda. More than ever, you will play an essential role in supporting your organisation to safeguard the privacy rights in a time of accelerated digital transformation.
This is why a multifaceted approach in delivering this course is paramount. Experts and practitioners at the forefront of data protection will guide you along the legal framework of the European data protection legislation, while elaborating on some of the most pressing privacy-related issues that have emerged in the context of the pandemic. This will involve applying an interactive and on-the-job methodology: role playing, concrete and realistic case studies, with both successful and non-successful outcomes and peer-to-peer discussions. By the end of the course, you will be provided with all the tools to design or augment a thorough data protection compliance programme in your organisation.
You will learn about:
- The European legal framework for data protection (including the GDPR);
- Key data protection concepts, principles and obligations;
- Actors, roles and responsibilities;
- The role of the DPO (Data Protection Officer), the EDPS (European Data Protection Supervisor) and the national supervisory authorities;
- Severity assessment of data breaches and assurance role of the DPO (accountability, requirements and demonstrating compliance);
- Cyber security, data protection audits, privacy and digital sovereignty;
- Options and solutions for cross-border data transfer and third-country data transfers;
- e-Privacy design and impact assessment;
- Grounds for processing, including legitimate interest and consent;
- The rights of data subjects and how to handle them.
We believe practical know-how is the key to effective learning. This course therefore includes:
- Detailed explanations of the key concepts, principles, actors and roles in the field of data protection and security;
- Role play and group exercises;
- Preparatory workshop for the final certification examination (optional);
- Insights with case-law examples;
- Input and coaching on practical issues encountered by participants from the DPO network, European institutions and agencies, Europol, Eurojust, EDPS, national authorities and other data protection experts;
- A highly interactive approach – the structure of the course will give you opportunities to ask questions and share experiences during the dedicated Q&A sessions.
To optimise your experience, we also recommend that you follow the optional preparatory workshop for the certification examination, when time will be devoted to a recap of the essentials, exercises, a discussion and a Q&A session.
Read more here.